Lowestoft’s Town Quay reopens following £4.5m investment by ABP
- Credit: Archant
Associated British Ports (ABP) has invested £4.5million in the reconstruction of Town Quay at the Port of Lowestoft.
Town Quay was officially re-opened by Lieutenant Commander Gavin Dawe, Commanding Officer of the Royal Australian Navy tall ship Young Endeavour, which was returning to the port where she was built for the first time since being given to Australia as a bicentennial gift in 1988.
The quay has been rebuilt following a collapse in 2012, ensuring it is now fit for purpose for at least the next 50 years.
ABP’s investment has made the quay stronger, deeper and suitable for a variety of uses, particularly for the support of offshore wind and renewable energy industry.
The Young Endeavour was originally built by Brooke Yachts in Lowestoft and was given to Australia as a bicentennial gift in 1988. Since then she has been in service as part of a youth scheme that taken over 12,000 young Australians on sailing adventures.
You may also want to watch:
Lieutenant Commander Gavin Dawe cut the ribbon in a ceremony attended by Lowestoft Mayor Stephen Ardley, his deputy Councillor Nick Webb and local MP Peter Aldous.
ABP short sea port director Andrew Harston said: “We are delighted that the Town Quay works were completed in time to be able to berth the Young Endeavour. It is a great opportunity for the people of Lowestoft to see her return after 29 years.
- 1 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 2 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 3 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 4 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 7 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
- 10 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
“It is a great honour that, for the first time since she sailed from Lowestoft, Lieutenant Commander Dawes and his young crew have been able to bring Young Endeavour home.”