Major orders for body armour firm
A BODY armour manufacturer has made an impact with a major multi-million-pound contract. VestGuard UK Ltd, based at Colchester, has won six separate contracts to supply 160,000 units of its patented design body armour - believed to be the largest ever contract for personal protective equipment of its kind.
A BODY armour manufacturer has made an impact with a major multi-million-pound contract.
VestGuard UK Ltd, based at Colchester, has won six separate contracts to supply 160,000 units of its patented design body armour - believed to be the largest ever contract for personal protective equipment of its kind.
It won the Unites States Department of Defence contracts, together worth about �54million, despite strong competition from around 600 submissions worldwide.
Managing director Shaun Ward said they were helping to position the Essex-based company as the world's leading manufacturers of body armour.
You may also want to watch:
“We are very proud to be supplying a UK product,” he said.
Mr Ward said: “This is a great win for British business. In a time of recession this proves that there is still business to be done. British manufacturers and service providers are among the best in the world. We must promote that and power our way out of these troubled times.”
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 9 Construction work begins on TV set ahead of Amazon series filming
- 10 Truck's four-figure repair fee at Colchester garage left unpaid
The firm, which has appointed an international business development manager, David Chandler, and compliance manager, Deborah Morgan, has been investing in new equipment, technology and research to help secure more business in the future. Its headquarters are in Colchester and it makes the vest at a site in Blackburn.
"Our business is protecting the lives of others. Any advancement we can make in the fight against ballistic threats and those from edged weapons by investing in our business is worth every penny” said Mr Ward.
Established just nine years ago, the firm quickly made its mark in the defence sector by creating a patented system that minimises the effects of blunt force trauma.
The technology is uses means the vests exceed the standards set by the American National Institute of Justice while remaining lightweight and comfortable for the wearer, the company says.
VestGuard supplies police, military, Government agencies and private sector organisations worldwide.