‘Such a shame’: Garden centre forced to close due to poor trading conditions
- Credit: Archant
Marlows Home and Garden Centre in Bury St Edmunds has been forced to close because of “poor trading conditions” caused by Covid-19.
The garden centre, in Hollow Road, announced it would be closing in autumn 2020.
A post on the centre’s Facebook page said: “Due to poor trading conditions caused by coronavirus, Marlows Home and Garden will be closing down.
“We expect the closure to be complete by autumn 2020.
“We would like to thank all of our amazing customers for the support shown during these difficult times.”
The centre reassured customers with outstanding vouchers that they could get a full refund by contacting the centre.
Shoppers expressed their sadness at the garden centre shutting.
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 6 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 7 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 8 West Suffolk's Covid rate rises to become highest in county
- 9 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 10 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
One wrote on Facebook: “Before I retired and moved I would visit Marlows most weeks, sometimes several times a week, and loved the shop, the garden centre and the staff.
“I’m so sad to hear if the closure and will be thinking if all the staff during this very difficult time.”
Find all of our coronavirus coverage here.
Another person wrote: “So sad to hear about this. It’s part of Bury St Edmunds. Me and my NHS buddies were looking forward to coming for a lovely breakfast after all this had died down.
“You were all so kind at the start of this pandemic even giving my friend a loo roll or two and free coffee as she had just finished nights. This is such a shame.”
The post has been shared over 500 times, and has received nearly 600 comments.