Mercedes-Benz dealer Orwell Trucks sees sales of trucks and vans rise in 2016
- Credit: Archant
East Anglia-based Mercedes-Benz dealer Orwell Trucks Ltd saw trucks and vans sales soar last year as normality returned to the truck market.
In the year ended June 2016, the firm’s turnover grew by 16% on the previous year to £74.5m, while gross profit rose by more than 4% from £9.4m to nearly £9.9m.
Orwell Truck & Van, an EADT/EDP Top 100 member which specialises in the sale and maintenance of Mercedes-Benz and Fuso Commercial Vehicles, has a team of more than 200 employees across the group, with branches in Ipswich, Colchester, Norwich and Newmarket.
Orders for trucks and registrations improved, with 322 vehicles registered - up 18% on the previous year, increasing its local market share above the amount seen by Mercedes-Benz nationally.
Another “strong” year for van sales resulted in 1,252 sold in the year, compared to 1,081 in 2015 - an increase of 16%, it said.
You may also want to watch:
A new van showroom at Newmarket is expected to increase retail and van sales further in future years.
Service sales grew by 7%, and the relocation of the Newmarket depot to a larger site in early 2016 helped drive growth in the second half of the year.
- 1 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 2 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 3 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 4 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 9 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 10 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
However, sales of spare parts flattened, with growth of just 2.6%.