More long-haul services on the cards at Stansted as it celebrates its busiest year since 2007
- Credit: Archant
Stansted Airport said it was “optimistic” that it would be adding more long-haul services in 2016, after recording its busiest year since 2007.
22.56 million passengers travelled through the terminal in 2015, an increase of 2.6 million passengers and 13% on the previous 12 months.
Domestic traffic experienced the strongest growth, with passenger numbers up by 50%, mainly driven by a significant increase in capacity on Scottish routes by Ryanair and easyJet.
In December, more than 1.7m passengers used Stansted, an increase of 9.2% on the previous year, making it the second busiest December on record and the 21st month of continuous growth for the airport.
The month also saw the highest ever load factor for any December with an average of 83.2% of all available seats occupied on each flight, surpassing the previous best of 81.5% set in 2014.
You may also want to watch:
Cargo tonnage at Stansted during December increased by 7.8% over the same month last year to lift the annual total to over 237,000 tonnes in the past 12 months, up 4.7% on the previous year and the highest annual total since 2012.
Managing director Andrew Harrison said: “The last 12 months have been another exciting and transformational period for Stansted with more rapid growth in passenger numbers and a host of significant changes taking place around the airport.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 3 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 6 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 7 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 8 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 9 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 10 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
“During the year we saw six consecutive months of two million plus passengers - the first time this has been achieved since 2007- and ended the year with the second busiest December in the airport’s history.
“On the development front, we are now putting the finishing touches to our £80million terminal transformation following the opening of the final phases earlier this year, and work is now underway to construct a new £45 million 357-bed hotel next to the terminal to provide even more choice and enhanced facilities.
“These were all fantastic achievements and real positive signs of the progress we are making at Stansted.”
This year promises to be another “great year”, he said, as the airport marks the 25th anniversary of HM The Queen opening the terminal building in 1991.
“I’m optimistic we will be able to announce new airline partners joining us at Stansted in the coming months, including more long-haul services.”