Morrisons in Stowmarket proposed as one of seven to close
- Credit: PA
A Morrisons branch in a Suffolk town has been proposed as one of seven stores to be closed, it can be revealed.
Staff at the Morrisons store in Stowmarket were informed of the decision yesterday, a spokeswoman for the supermarket chain confirmed.
The news comes after the Bradford-based company said it would close seven stores, despite a 0.2% rise in like-for-like sales excluding fuel in the nine weeks to January 3.
Around 680 jobs are under threat from the seven store closures.
A Morrisons spokeswoman said: “We have looked at how we can improve the Stowmarket store’s long-term viability.
You may also want to watch:
“Unfortunately we have not found a way to turn this store around and are therefore proposing its closure.
“We are consulting with colleagues and unions and we will be discussing how to reduce redundancies and redeploy colleagues around our business.”
- 1 The 36 best restaurants in Suffolk according to the AA guide
- 2 Oxford boss hits out at 'ludicrous' League One spending while appearing to take swipe at Ipswich Town
- 3 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Bury St Edmunds bathroom store in liquidation owing nearly £140k
- 5 'We are in for three, four or five players' - Town CEO Ashton on new signings and deliver 'dramatic change' for Cook
- 6 Edwards set to leave Ipswich Town to join League One rivals
- 7 TV presenter Paul Heiney complains as train leaves passengers behind
- 8 Cornell attracting Championship interest as Ipswich contract is terminated
- 9 'There's been a few clubs after me' - winger Edwards completes Wigan move after leaving Ipswich
- 10 Ashton reveals season ticket sales and hails impact of Ed Sheeran sponsorship