Morrisons brings back container refill service to cut plastic packaging
- Credit: Morrisons
Morrisons is bringing back its refillable container service at fresh fish and meat counters at its stores in Suffolk and north Essex, to reduce single-use plastic packaging.
Butchers and fishmongers, as well as staff at deli counters, will now ask customers if they have brought their own container to be refilled.
The initiative is available in all branches, including Morrisons stores in Ipswich, Hadleigh, Felixstowe, Harwich, Clacton and Lowestoft.
This service was previously introduced in 2018 but put on hold during lockdown.
Customers will be able to bring their own containers to counters, with each purchase being given a sticky label that is then scanned at the tills.
The supermarket chain estimates that, if every Morrisons customer used a refillable container for their counter purchase, it would save 2,000 tonnes of plastic a year.
The retailer has also been working to remove 900 tonnes of plastic from its butchers and fishmongers counter packaging a year by introducing new lighter-weight recyclable trays.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 3 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 7 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 8 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
Morrisons will be selling reusable containers in its Home aisle, and cut-price deals across selected meat and fish cuts and deli will be available to mark the return of the service..