Nacton Road Fish Bar in Ipswich wins Potato Council-run ‘Best Chippy Chips’ in Suffolk award for second year running ahead of National Chip Week
- Credit: Archant
A fish and chip shop in Ipswich has scooped the award for ‘Best Chippy Chips’ in Suffolk for the second year running.
Loyal customers and regular eaters chipped in with their votes to help Nacton Road Fish Bar take the prestigious gong for the second time, fending off stiff competition from high quality chippies across the county.
Delighted shop owner Rav Phagura said: “We found out on Friday and we were really excited, it is nice to be appreciated for what we do within the community.”
Mr Phagura cites his unique approach to cooking and friendly attitude as key reasons why his customers can’t get enough of his award-winning chips.
He added: “We go through certain checks and quality standards, and most of the secrets are in the temperatures.
You may also want to watch:
“If you put the effort into the product you will get the results.”
The taste of success is one Mr Phagura has come to enjoy since striking it out on his own in 2013 after more than 10 years working alongside his brother.
- 1 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 2 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 3 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 4 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 5 Pub near Stowmarket closes temporarily due to Covid-19 case
- 6 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket
- 7 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 8 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 9 Pair arrested for alleged sex assault on young woman
- 10 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
He added: “My dad used to run a chip shop and he used to do quite well. I have been doing this since I was 18 helping out my dad, before he helped us set up our store in 2002.”
The award comes on the first day of National Chip Week which runs until February 22, and featured over 68,000 votes for 900 entrants across the country in the Potato Council-run awards.
Kate Cox from the Potato Council said: “Here in Great Britain we are undoubtedly a nation of chip lovers and Chip Week is a fantastic celebration of our great British food tradition.
“Us Brits feel strongly about supporting our local chippy, so it’s no surprise so many people took the time to vote for their favourite.”