National award is no small beer
A SUFFOLK pub is celebrating after being crowned the best in the country at serving cask-conditioned “real” ale. The Dove Street Inn, on the corner of St Helens Street and Dove Street in Ipswich, scooped the Abbott Ale Cask Pub of the Year title The Publican magazine's annual Food and Drink Awards.
A SUFFOLK pub is celebrating after being crowned the best in the country at serving cask-conditioned “real” ale.
The Dove Street Inn, on the corner of St Helens Street and Dove Street in Ipswich, scooped the Abbott Ale Cask Pub of the Year title The Publican magazine's annual Food and Drink Awards.
Landlords Ady Smith and Karen Beaumont, who were shortlisted together with thee other pubs from around the country, were praised for their devotion to cask beer and the excellent range of 12 cask hand pulls on offer.
It is the latest in a long line of successes for the pub, which has been recognised for its quality with a string of local and national best pub awards and also well known locally for hosting successful beer festivals.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Smith said: “It is nice to be recognised within the trade as being one of the champions of cask ale. It is testament to the team.
“Cask ale is the mainstay of our business which is very rare in this day and age. I'm really pleased.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 7 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 8 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 10 Iconic names, a disastrous relationship and now a music superstar - the evolution of Town’s shirt sponsors
Steve Magnall, brewing and distribution director at sponsor Greene King, said: “Hearty congratulations to The Dove.
“Of all the fantastic cask pubs across the country, to be recognised as the best is a marvellous accolade and a wonderful tribute to Karen, Ady and their team.
“Cask beer or real ale is the best drink in the world when served in good condition.
“It's a fresh product made with wholesome natural ingredients and the team at The Dove put lots of energy into making every pint perfect.”