National honours for a Suffolk home builder and a local home
- Credit: Andy Matthews
A spectacular home built by a local contractor has been chosen as the best house in Britain by a national homes award scheme.
Broombank, which is located on the River Alde in Aldeburgh, was selected as winner of the ‘best house to 5000sq ft’ at the national Sunday Times British Homes Awards for 2015 which were held on Friday October 16 at the London Marriott Hotel on Grosvenor Square.
Broombank was built by Framlingham-based Robert Norman Construction and designed by London based SOUP Architects.
The home has already received a number of accolades including being recognised by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) in 2014.
Broombank is a relaxed contemporary house within a reconsidered, ‘natural’ landscape.
Large, sliding glass doors allow the surrounding landscape to be ever present throughout the house and carefully positioned rooflights allow day/sunlight to fill the spaces throughout the day.
On the award Robert Norman said: “It goes without saying that we are thrilled to have been recognised for the build of Broombank in such a prestigious awards process. Credit must go to SOUP Architects who designed Broombank, it really is a beautiful dwelling and thoroughly deserving of the title.”
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 Suffolk glamp site 'perfect for romantic retreats' named among best in UK
- 3 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 4 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 5 Long-running BBC One show to be filmed in Suffolk church
- 6 'It's going great' - New pizzeria proving a hit in east Suffolk town
- 7 'I just don't operate that way' - Town owner Steed tells it straight on first visit
- 8 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
- 9 'He can trust me to do that' - Leigh on his new challenge at Town
Robert Norman Construction is a multi-award winning building contractor specialising in high quality, commercial works as well as new homes and eco-houses.