New chairman of Hadleigh Chamber aims to ‘make town bigger on the Suffolk map’
- Credit: Archant
Hadleigh Chamber of Commerce has been relauched, with plans including the revival of the town’s pre-Christmas retail event and a drive for new members.
With the chamber having been dormant for around two years, a new committee has now been formed to identify – and implement – the most useful roles the organisation can play, and to recruit more businesses from in and around the town to join the current membership of 40.
Sean Garnham from the Hadleigh branch of Gant fashion brand retailer Hall Street has been elected chairman and says he is determined to see the chamber promote the spirit of enterprise in Hadleigh and support the interests of the wide range of businesses in the town.
“Hadleigh is a remarkable place,” he says. “It is a small mediaeval market town with a large number of listed buildings set in beautiful Suffolk countryside.
“It is home to one of the UK’s oldest annual agricultural shows and it also has a thriving high street and two industrial estates with different types of businesses large and small.
“Dotted around the town and neighbouring villages there are also very many small businesses and sole traders offering different products and services and covering many trades and professions.”
He added: “The chamber is currently focusing on how we make Hadleigh bigger on the Suffolk map by networking, collaboration and representation.
- 1 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 2 Four-bedroom cottage on Dunwich clifftops for sale for £295k
- 3 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 4 Thunderstorm warning issued for East of England
- 5 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 6 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 7 Award-winning scotch egg producer takes over Melton butchers shop
- 8 Suffolk dog-friendly hotel named one of the best in the UK
- 9 West Suffolk Mexican restaurant named among best in the UK
- 10 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
“We are actively encouraging a wide cross-section of Hadleigh businesses to join, to broaden our perspective, help us understand the needs of the business community in Hadleigh and to develop and deliver useful services for them.”
Among the objectives is to revive the town centre’s traditional pre-Christmas event, which did not take place place last year, with the chamber aiming to collaborate with Hadleigh Town Council and the town’s community steering group.
Ideas for the event are invited and a meeting is to be held at The Guildhall in Hadleigh on April 3, starting at 6pm.
A new Facebook page titled Support Christmas in Hadleigh IP7 is also being created, where expressions of interest can be registered. For further information, email: email@example.com .