New faces behind bar at Long Melford Hare
- Credit: Archant
A former Suffolk woman has returned to the county to run a popular village pub.
Kate Forsstrom and her husband Nik have just taken over the Hare in Long Melford after being in charge of several London pubs over the past two decades.
Their most recent was the famous Prince Alfred in Maida Vale but, because Mrs Forsstrom grew up in Claydon and attended the local high school in the early 1990s, she was keen to move back to Suffolk and take on a typical village hostelry.
The Hare, which is know locally for its home-cooked food, is owned by Greene King but the responsibility for the business now lies with the Forsstroms as the new tenants.
The couple will be living at the pub with their two children, Oskar, seven, and Freya, four.
Mr Forsstrom said: “We fell in love with the Hare as soon as we saw it.
“It is one of those beautiful pubs that ticks all the boxes – well-kept, looks inviting and with lots of potential.
- 1 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
- 2 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 3 'It makes you want to cry' - anger as bench dumped in pond at country park
- 4 Revealed: The wealthiest people in East Anglia on the Sunday Times Rich List
- 5 £1.5million project set to turn north Essex towns into giant gaming areas
- 6 Girl, 12, injured after having foot run over by driver
- 7 My Suffolk Life: ‘We had to move to Suffolk to be together’
- 8 Colchester gets city status - fuelling disappointment over no Ipswich bid
- 9 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 10 Man identified after dog walker threatened in Sudbury
“We both wanted to get out of the city to bring up our family. We also wanted a pub that felt exactly as a pub should – at the heart of the community, and that is not something you typically find in London.
“Long Melford is idyllic and we are really looking forward to settling here, getting to know all our neighbours and running the best pub in the village.”
As their only business, the couple will be regular faces behind the bar alongside the existing team.
The pair are planning summer events in the garden and a regular quiz night, as well as wine and food-matching evenings.
Clive Chesser, managing director for Greene King Pub Partners, said: “Kate and Nik have earned a reputation for running great pubs and I am in no doubt they will be warmly welcomed by everyone in Long Melford.
“We are very proud to have them behind the bar of a Greene King pub.”