New Northern Ireland service is launched with a piper
- Credit: Archant
Loganair has launched daily flights between Derry and Stansted Airport after being selected as the new operator for the Public Service Obligation contract between Northern Ireland’s North West and England’s capital.
The inaugural service set-off at 7.05am, after a short ceremony at the airport with music by a Scottish piper and attended by Loganair’s managing director, Jonathan Hinkles.
A return service from London Stansted arrived in to Derry at 10.35am and both trips were operated by a 49-seat Embraer 145 aircraft.
Loganair is providing two services each weekday and on Sundays alongside a single Saturday flight as part of a Derry City and Strabane District Council PSO contract.
It is the airline’s second route from City of Derry Airport, adding to its Glasgow to Derry service which launched last October. The carrier also recently announced a daily schedule to Manchester, again on board at 49-seat Embraer 145 jet aircraft.
Jonathan Hinkles Loganair’s managing director said: “We are very pleased to be able to continue the vital air link between Derry and London Stansted.
“Bookings have extremely been positive which only re-enforces how important this route is to the region. We look forward to building on a successful start with the new Derry to Manchester schedule starting the May 24.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 5 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 6 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 7 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 8 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 9 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 10 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
“Both Stansted and Manchester will operate on our Embraer 145 jet aircraft, and with our existing Glasgow service brings the total routes served by Loganair from Derry to three.”
Airport manager at City of Derry Airport, Charlene Shongo, said: “The double daily service between City of Derry Airport and London Stansted, (exception Saturday when there is one service) has already proven very popular with business and leisure travellers throughout the North West with Loganair indicating strong sales to date.”