Newmarket-based Manchetts planning busy summer of charity fundraising
- Credit: Archant
Vehicle recovery firm Manchetts will be a hive of fund-raising activity over the coming months, including support for Macmillan, Cancer Research and Addenbrookes Hospital.
Assistant manager Gemma Manchett is about to run the London Marathon, despite never being a serious runner before, to raise money for Whizz Kidz, a charity providing mobility equipment for disabled children.
In September, recovery controller Lindsay Powell will be taking part in a charity fishing competition to raise money for Cancer Research and the Neurological Critical Care Unit at Addenbrookes Hospital.
And Manchetts Garage will be running a charity golf day in the summer at King’s Lynn Golf Club in support of Macmillian cancer support.
Gemma, 25, who is the fourth generation of the Manchett family to work in the business, has so far received sponsorship pledges totalling £2,908, including £500 from the firm.
You may also want to watch:
She was inspired to take part after watching last year’s marathon with friends in London. “It was really hard at first,” she said: “I had to start from scratch just running for a couple of minutes at a time with walking breaks in between.
“Now I have just taken part in the Silverstone Half Marathon and I am feeling confident that I will make it around the London course on the day.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 4 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 5 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 8 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 Exit Interview: Ward was the model pro who started fast but simply ran out of steam
Gemma added: “We all like to support good causes here. Now I have the running bug, who knows what events I will take part in next?”