Newmarket-based Manchetts planning busy summer of charity fundraising
- Credit: Archant
Vehicle recovery firm Manchetts will be a hive of fund-raising activity over the coming months, including support for Macmillan, Cancer Research and Addenbrookes Hospital.
Assistant manager Gemma Manchett is about to run the London Marathon, despite never being a serious runner before, to raise money for Whizz Kidz, a charity providing mobility equipment for disabled children.
In September, recovery controller Lindsay Powell will be taking part in a charity fishing competition to raise money for Cancer Research and the Neurological Critical Care Unit at Addenbrookes Hospital.
And Manchetts Garage will be running a charity golf day in the summer at King’s Lynn Golf Club in support of Macmillian cancer support.
Gemma, 25, who is the fourth generation of the Manchett family to work in the business, has so far received sponsorship pledges totalling £2,908, including £500 from the firm.
She was inspired to take part after watching last year’s marathon with friends in London. “It was really hard at first,” she said: “I had to start from scratch just running for a couple of minutes at a time with walking breaks in between.
“Now I have just taken part in the Silverstone Half Marathon and I am feeling confident that I will make it around the London course on the day.”
- 1 £1.5million project set to turn north Essex towns into giant gaming areas
- 2 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
- 3 Man identified after dog walker threatened in Sudbury
- 4 Andy Warren: Why keeping Sam Morsy is vital for Ipswich Town
- 5 Man caught drink driving over three times the legal limit in Suffolk town
- 6 'It makes you want to cry' - anger as bench dumped in pond at country park
- 7 Girl, 12, injured after having foot run over by driver
- 8 Suffolk celebrates! Full list of county's 185 street parties for the Queen's jubilee
- 9 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 10 Julia Bradbury's feature on 'beautiful' Sudbury airs on This Morning today
Gemma added: “We all like to support good causes here. Now I have the running bug, who knows what events I will take part in next?”