Newmarket: Improved revenues and profits for insurance group Hastings
- Credit: Archant
Insurance group Hastings today reported improved revenues and profits for the second quarter of the year, on the back of continued growth in customer numbers.
Hastings, which is based at Bexhill-on-Sea in East Sussex but also employs more than 200 people at offices on the Oaks Business Park in Newmarket, said customer numbers reached 1.6million during three months to June 30, up from 1.26m in the same period last year.
This helped drive a 19% increase in net revenue to £97.6m, up from £81.9m a year earlier, with gross written premiums rising 24% to £119.8m, against £96.4m for the same period in 2013.
Profit before tax was 90% higher, at £17.1m compared with £9.0m, with the group’s combined operating ratio ? claims and operating expenses as a percentage of premium income ? for the 12 months to June 30 improving to 90.5%, from 90.7% for the 12 months to March 31.
Hastings Insurance Group’s brands include Hastings Direct, People’s Choice, insure. and insurepink.
Gary Hoffman, chief executive, said: “The car insurance market remains extremely competitive but these results demonstrate how our agility and refreshingly straightforward proposition for customers continue to differentiate us and enable us to grow profitably and sustainably.
“We have achieved strong growth in customer numbers (up 27%) and gross written premiums (up 24%), and continue to make the right trade-offs between long term value and short term growth. Our distinctive model of optimising separate underwriting and retail operations ensures this.”
- 1 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 2 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 3 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 4 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 5 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 6 'Bonne Mania' made us all smile... it faded but we'll always have the memories
- 7 Plans to explore Dutch-style cycling network in Suffolk town
- 8 Gang who stole from Suffolk museum jailed for total of 74 years
- 9 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 10 Suspected speeder detained after car crashes into field
He added: “Our people, our business model and our agility have created success so far and position us well to compete effectively and provide customers with what they want for the remainder of this year and in years to come.”