Pentlow: Nethergate wins Good Pub Guide Brewery of the Year title
THE team at a small brewery on the Suffolk-Essex border was celebrating yesterday after it was named Brewery of the Year in the new 2012 edition of the Good Pub Guide.
Nethergate, which was formed 24 years ago in Clare but is now based just across the border at Pentlow, has won a number of national and international awards for individual beers, such as Old Growler and Umbel Ale, but this is the first time it has won the Brewery of the Year title.
The Good Pub Guide stated: “Nethergate brew a wide range of interesting beers available in both bottle and cask, widely available, they represent good value on the bar”
Rob Flanagan, the managing director of Nethergate who last year led a management buy-in team which took control of the business from former owner and founder Dick Burge, said: “We are very pleased to receive the award. It is fantastic recognition for the team at the brewery who work hard every day to deliver the highest quality beer.
“It is particularly pleasing that it has been achieved on the our first anniversary of new ownership,” he added. “We set out to continue the great tradition of brewing at Nethergate but work harder to make our beers more widely available, which we are starting to do.”
New listings have been achieved in both the on- and off-trades, with companies including pub groups Punch Taverns and Mitchells & Butlers and supermarket giant Tesco, and well as with many local pubs.
Nethergate has also worked with the East of England Co-op to produce a range of own-label beers for sale exclusively through the Co-op’s food stores across Suffolk, Essex and Norfolk.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 6 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 7 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 8 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 9 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 10 'Rare' home of former socialite and artist goes up for sale for £1.5m
Mr Flanagan added: “We are working on a couple of new beers, a new look for the brands and at least one other exciting project – watch this space!”