Plea from council and business forum to shop local during Small Business Saturday
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers in the Waveney district are being urged to look closer to home today.
Business owners in the district are offering special one-off promotions, incentives and in-store events, as part of the Small Business Saturday initiative, a nationwide scheme focusing on raising awareness of small independent businesses.
The scheme is supported by Waveney District Council and Waveney Business Forum.
In Waveney, 96.5% of businesses employ less than 50 people and are therefore classed as small businesses.
Colin Law, leader of the district council said: “We have an incredible range of small independent businesses within Waveney and it is essential people are made aware of their existence and their importance to the local economy.
“Small Business Saturday aims to shine a light on the variety of shops and services in the area and inspire people to visit them, not just once on December 6 but repeatedly throughout the year.”
Kevin Vail, chairman of the business forum, said: “We are delighted to be part of Small Business Saturday, which encourages consumers to shop local and support their communities and gives small businesses a great opportunity for visibility and promotion. Consumers like the independent shops in each market town and so people now have the opportunity to support these businesses in the run-up to Christmas.
- 1 15 strikers that Ipswich Town could turn to for goals this summer
- 2 Fire crews tackle blaze for several hours at Suffolk farm
- 3 Community sadness after death of man who was found in river
- 4 Plans for 20 homes in Suffolk village unanimously refused
- 5 5 miles of congestion on A14 after crash involving car and two lorries
- 6 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 7 Woman freed from vehicle after car overturns near to shops
- 8 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 9 Family's support for 'mum-in-a-million' after double amputation for sepsis
- 10 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
“Let’s make it a successful season for the retailers in our wonderful market towns.”
To coincide with the event, the business forum has hosted a best-dressed window competition across Lowestoft, Kirkley, Southwold, Bungay, Beccles and Halesworth town centres, with the winner being announced today.
To read more about what towns and businesses are doing for Small Business Saturday, see today’s EADT for a 12-page pullout.