Plea from council and business forum to shop local during Small Business Saturday
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers in the Waveney district are being urged to look closer to home today.
Business owners in the district are offering special one-off promotions, incentives and in-store events, as part of the Small Business Saturday initiative, a nationwide scheme focusing on raising awareness of small independent businesses.
The scheme is supported by Waveney District Council and Waveney Business Forum.
In Waveney, 96.5% of businesses employ less than 50 people and are therefore classed as small businesses.
Colin Law, leader of the district council said: “We have an incredible range of small independent businesses within Waveney and it is essential people are made aware of their existence and their importance to the local economy.
You may also want to watch:
“Small Business Saturday aims to shine a light on the variety of shops and services in the area and inspire people to visit them, not just once on December 6 but repeatedly throughout the year.”
Kevin Vail, chairman of the business forum, said: “We are delighted to be part of Small Business Saturday, which encourages consumers to shop local and support their communities and gives small businesses a great opportunity for visibility and promotion. Consumers like the independent shops in each market town and so people now have the opportunity to support these businesses in the run-up to Christmas.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 4 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 5 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 6 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 7 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 8 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
- 9 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 10 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
“Let’s make it a successful season for the retailers in our wonderful market towns.”
To coincide with the event, the business forum has hosted a best-dressed window competition across Lowestoft, Kirkley, Southwold, Bungay, Beccles and Halesworth town centres, with the winner being announced today.
To read more about what towns and businesses are doing for Small Business Saturday, see today’s EADT for a 12-page pullout.