Popular hotel to close down
RESIDENTS in a Suffolk town have started a campaign to save a hotel will close on Monday with the loss of 25 jobs.
The Limes Hotel in Needham Market will cease trading after the firm of administrators running the site was unable to find a new buyer.
The venue was one of 13 hotels and 13 pubs formerly owned by the Elizabeth Hotels group which went into administration in December 2009.
It’s believed that the site could now be put up for auction and a group of residents from the town have started a campaign to keep the building as a hotel.
Paul Addison, has organised a gathering at the hotel this weekend to try and drum up support for the move.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Addison, 38, said: “This will rip the heart out of the community and myself and several others are not prepared to stand back and this happen.
“Everyone who has ever lived in Needham Market has probably been to the hotel for a drink at some point - it’s part of local life.
- 1 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 2 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 5 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 7 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 8 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 9 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 10 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
“We want the future owners of the site to continue running it as a hotel. At least then the tradition will not be lost.”
Geoff Rackham, manager of The Limes Hotel, declined to comment when contacted yesterday.
Allan Graham from KPMG, the joint administrators for the Elizabeth Hotels group, said: “Following the successful sale of 13 hotels and 13 public houses which made up the original portfolio of properties in the Elizabeth Hotels group, we are disappointed to have to announce the closure of the remaining hotel.
“We have continued to trade the business since our appointment as administrators in December 2009, but have been unable to reach completion with any interested party for The Limes Hotel, Suffolk, and will be closing the hotel as of March 1.
“The closure will unfortunately result in the redundancy of 25 members of staff, who have been informed of the decision.
“We are in the process of contacting customers to cancel any bookings due to take place after March 1 and all deposits that were taken since our appointment as administrators (December 8 2009) will be refunded.”