Port regatta due to set sail
THE Port of Felixstowe is preparing to set sail on its tenth outing as sponsors of the Port of Felixstowe International Regatta.This year's event, to be held over the weekend of May 26 to 28, is expected to be the most popular and competitive Regatta yet.
THE Port of Felixstowe is preparing to set sail on its tenth outing as sponsors of the Port of Felixstowe International Regatta.
This year's event, to be held over the weekend of May 26 to 28, is expected to be the most popular and competitive Regatta yet.
Jointly organised by Haven Ports Yacht Club, Walton and Frinton Yacht Club, and Royal Harwich Yacht Club, the Regatta, which is held at Suffolk Yacht Harbour, Levington, has become one of the east coast's premier sailing events.
Competitors are expected from the Continent, as well as throughout the UK, and numbers are expected to top all previous years. The standard of competition has risen significantly since the Regatta was first conceived.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Lewis, chief executive of Hutchison Ports (UK) Ltd, the owners of the Port of Felixstowe, said the event had “grown in stature” over the years.
“Leisure traffic co-exist with the commercial traffic at Harwich Harbour, and we are proud of the close links the Port of Felixstowe has developed with this prestigious competition,” he said.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
Regatta Organising Committee chairman Nigel Mower said: “The three clubs involved in the organisation of the Regatta are extremely proud of its success. With the Port of Felixstowe's support is has become a leading fixture in the annual sailing calendar.
“A great deal of hard work goes into the event each year, and the fact that competitors seem to return year after year to the excellent racing that the Regatta provides.”
The racing takes place at Dovercourt Bay and will feature five races.
In addition to the racing, there is an extensive social programme attached to the event, with food, drink and live entertainment.
The official prizegiving takes place on Monday afternoon, including the presentation of the Hutchison Ports Cup for the best performance.
Anyone interested in taking part should visit www.pofr.org.