Port regatta due to set sail
THE Port of Felixstowe is preparing to set sail on its tenth outing as sponsors of the Port of Felixstowe International Regatta.This year's event, to be held over the weekend of May 26 to 28, is expected to be the most popular and competitive Regatta yet.
THE Port of Felixstowe is preparing to set sail on its tenth outing as sponsors of the Port of Felixstowe International Regatta.
This year's event, to be held over the weekend of May 26 to 28, is expected to be the most popular and competitive Regatta yet.
Jointly organised by Haven Ports Yacht Club, Walton and Frinton Yacht Club, and Royal Harwich Yacht Club, the Regatta, which is held at Suffolk Yacht Harbour, Levington, has become one of the east coast's premier sailing events.
Competitors are expected from the Continent, as well as throughout the UK, and numbers are expected to top all previous years. The standard of competition has risen significantly since the Regatta was first conceived.
Chris Lewis, chief executive of Hutchison Ports (UK) Ltd, the owners of the Port of Felixstowe, said the event had “grown in stature” over the years.
“Leisure traffic co-exist with the commercial traffic at Harwich Harbour, and we are proud of the close links the Port of Felixstowe has developed with this prestigious competition,” he said.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 4 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 Suffolk woman stole thousands from football club and school
- 7 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
- 8 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 9 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 10 Inquest opened into human remains found by Suffolk river
Regatta Organising Committee chairman Nigel Mower said: “The three clubs involved in the organisation of the Regatta are extremely proud of its success. With the Port of Felixstowe's support is has become a leading fixture in the annual sailing calendar.
“A great deal of hard work goes into the event each year, and the fact that competitors seem to return year after year to the excellent racing that the Regatta provides.”
The racing takes place at Dovercourt Bay and will feature five races.
In addition to the racing, there is an extensive social programme attached to the event, with food, drink and live entertainment.
The official prizegiving takes place on Monday afternoon, including the presentation of the Hutchison Ports Cup for the best performance.
Anyone interested in taking part should visit www.pofr.org.