Port to begin major rail upgrade
A MAJOR upgrade of the Port of Felixstowe's South Rail Terminal is due to start this month. The work, aimed at improving the efficiency and reliability of the port's rail operations, involves the replacement of the entire 465 metres of track at Line 1.
A MAJOR upgrade of the Port of Felixstowe's South Rail Terminal is due to start this month.
The work, aimed at improving the efficiency and reliability of the port's rail operations, involves the replacement of the entire 465 metres of track at Line 1.
It is due to start on December 27, and is expected to be completed by January 5, 2009.
Further critical track upgrades are also being undertaken in co-operation with Network Rail at the South Rail Terminal on the curve of the track by the Felixstowe Seafarers' Centre, alongside Carr Road.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Lewis, chief executive office at port owners Hutchison Ports (UK) Ltd, said they were committed to optimising environmentally-friendly rail transport opportunities for their customers.
“We have experienced very high volumes of rail traffic in recent months - breaking through the 9,000 rail moves per week threshold for the first time ever in September this year - and this highlights the need to improve freight capacity on the rail network so that more traffic can be distributed by sustainable modes.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 3 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 4 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 5 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 6 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 9 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 10 Hospital waives car parking charges for 'those who need it most'
Earlier this year, the South Rail Terminal was extended by 39 metres on all three lines, allowing it to accommodate trains of up to 22 wagons in length.