Premium poultry producer sees online festive turkey orders soar
Christmas orders for premium turkeys have swung markedly towards online and late orders, according to an Essex producer.
Paul Kelly, managing director of Danbury-based premium turkey producer Kelly Turkeys and of FarmGate Hatcheries, said there had been a dramatic swing towards mobile ordering, with Christmas orders coming in online and outside office hours.
Online sales have risen in volumn by 10% and farmgate sales by 14%, he said. 12% of sales were after December 14.
“Out-of-office hours ordering increased and the move to ordering from smart phones and tablets is dramatic,” he said. “Investing in our website – and in point-of-sale material – has paid dividends.”
The major retailers close their order service on or around the December 14, but we can keep open for a further week, he said.
You may also want to watch:
The firm changed its pricing structure from price per kg to price per bird, using the midpoint on every 1 kg weight band to set the price.
“I wish we had done it years ago,” said Paul. “Simple, easy and a no brainer.”
- 1 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 2 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 5 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 6 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 7 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 8 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 9 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 10 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
He believes that plastic and non-recyclable packaging is a big ‘No’ and that this will become a major issue.
FarmGate Hatcheries, part of the Kelly Turkeys group, is one of the UK’s leading suppliers of poults (young turkeys) for the traditional Christmas turkey market. The company has been hatching poults at Danbury, near Chelmsford, since 1971.