Primera Air to launch direct scheduled Stansted-New York flights from April 2018
- Credit: Archant
The first scheduled service between Stansted Airport and the United States for nine years is to be launched next April.
Danish airline Primera Air is to open a new base at Stansted and start direct flights to New York on a daily basis, with a four times a week service to Boston Logan following from May 2018.
Primera Air will also announce another trans-Atlantic route from Stansted by the end of summer 2017.
Flights will be operated by new Airbus A321NEO aircraft and include a choice of two cabins, full-service premium and low-fare economy, plus free Wi-Fi and onboard charging points.
Andrew Cowan, London Stansted’s chief executive, said: “We’re thrilled Primera Air has chosen London Stansted as its UK base for these exciting and innovative new long-haul services to the USA.
“We know from our customers that there is enormous demand for flights to New York and Boston from London and the east of England, so the arrival of Primera Air is fantastic news for both business and leisure passengers wanting great value, excellent service and the convenience of flying transatlantic from their local airport.
“The welcome arrival of Primera Air to Stansted offers passengers even more choice and provides great new transatlantic connections to New York and Boston – both of which are important destinations for businesses in our catchment.
- 1 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 4 Seven players who could leave Ipswich Town this summer
- 5 A14 westbound reopens after crash caused 7 miles of delays
- 6 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 7 Conveyor belt which carried pig carcases across Suffolk A-road is demolished
- 8 Boy, 10, asked to get in car by two men near Sudbury
- 9 Boss McKenna on Town's 'challenging and important' pre-season schedule
- 10 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
“I’m sure these new services will prove to be really popular and we look forward to working with Primera Air to add more routes in the future.”
Andri M Ingolfsson, Primera Air president and chairman, said: “We are very proud to announce our new base at London Stansted and routes to the USA.
“With our brand new Airbus A321NEO aircraft, we are opening routes previously traditionally served only by wide-body aircraft. With unmatched efficiency of these new-generation aircraft, we will be able to offer unprecedented prices to our passengers from London Stansted to the USA.
“At the same time, we are very proud to be offering a low-fare/high quality product and service concept, that will be perfect both for leisure and business travellers.”
The flights to New York and Boston are on sale from today with prices starting from £149 one-way inclusive of all taxes, fees and charges.