Prom glitz inspires gowns business
A KIND-hearted gesture by a businesswoman to ensure a teenage girl went to the ball in style has inspired her to launch a new venture.
Last summer Kirstyn Brett went to Netta’s dry cleaners in Sudbury and told an assistant that her plans to arrive at the upper school prom in an open-top car had fallen through.
When the owner Antoinetta Cooke found out she swiftly stepped in to save the day by arranging to take Kirstyn and her partner Mikey to the prom, at the Athenaeum in Bury St Edmunds, in a gleaming white 1985 convertible four-litre Cadillac.
Mrs Cooke said: “As soon as I heard Kirstyn’s story I just had to offer to help.
“I really enjoyed the event; it was so colourful, just like a fairytale.”
You may also want to watch:
She said the glitz and glamour of the occasion turned out to be the inspiration for her to launch her next business.
Three months later she opened Sirens Gowns in Hamilton Road, Sudbury, directly above her dry-cleaning business.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 6 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 7 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
“The gowns are the highest quality and come in a vast range of colours and styles, which are perfect for the school prom, cruises, balls and award ceremonies,” she said. “We also have a good mother-of-the-bride and bridal wear range,” she added.
Sirens Gowns opens from 9.30am to 5.30pm on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Viewings can be made by appointment on Sundays.
For more information call 01787 313144.