Record average at Tattersalls December Foal Sale in Newmarket
- Credit: Archant
Newmarket-based Tattersalls has reported increased prices across the board at its annual December Foal Sale.
The four-day total of 32,668,200 guineas, for 742 lots sold, represented an overall increase of 7%, with a record average of 44,027 guineas, also up 7%, while the median rose 19% to a record-equalling 25,000 guineas.
Tattersalls chairman Edmond Mahony said: “The correlation between the yearling market and the foal market is well established and the record-breaking Tattersalls October Yearling Sale has been matched by an equally dynamic Tattersalls December Foal Sale.
“This week’s sale has achieved increases across the board and cemented the reputation of the Tattersalls December Foal Sale as the premier fixture of its kind in Europe. Tribute must go to the vendors who yet again have brought the cream of the British and Irish foal crops to Tattersalls and the buyers have responded accordingly.
He added: “Highlights of the December Foal Sale have included Willie and Elaine Carson’s Dubawi, half-sister to Jack Hobbs, selling for 750,000 guineas, the continued global demand for the outstanding Ballymacoll stock and a significant number of new investors, particularly at the top of the market.
You may also want to watch:
“The number of foals selling for 200,000 guineas or more has risen from 16 in 2016 to 26 this year with a truly diverse international cast of buyers competing with the crowds of British and Irish pinhookers who make the Tattersalls December Foal Sale such a special event every year.”
The week sees Tattersalls’ December Mare Sale.
- 1 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 2 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 3 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 4 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 5 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 6 Hawkins leaves Town after just one season as striker makes League Two move
- 7 Town's former Director of Football reunited with McCarthy at Cardiff
- 8 Young footballer locked up for 12 years after 'vicious' machete attack
- 9 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 10 Former Town loanee joins McCarthy's Cardiff side
Mr Mahony added: “The Tattersalls December Mare Sale is uniquely cosmopolitan and this year’s catalogue has an abundance of quality in addition to the final instalment of the once in a generation Ballymacoll Dispersal.”