Record January passenger total for London Stansted Airport
- Credit: Archant
London Stansted has reported a strong start to 2018 with more than 1.8m passengers travelling through the airport last month, marking its busiest ever January.
The total represents an increase of 3.3%, or 57,000 passengers, on the previous record set in January 2017 and brings the airport’s rolling 12-month total to 25.9m passengers.
Cargo volumes at Stansted also grew last month, by 4.5% compared with January 2017, with a total of 20,885 tonnes being handled at the airport.
Last month also saw the announcement that Primera Air is adding a fourth route to its summer launch of low-cost transatlantic flights. It will begin flights to Washington from August, following the launch of services to New York in April and to Boston and Toronto in May.
Ken O’Toole, chief executive at London Stansted, said: “Following a successful 2017, January 2018 has seen continued record passenger numbers at London Stansted.
You may also want to watch:
“We have a significant year ahead of us, with new airlines and long-haul routes starting, as well as ambitious plans to upgrade our facilities. With Stansted being the only London airport with significant available runway capacity we’re focused on investing in our facilities and ensuring we provide the best passenger experience.”
The first phase of a £600m “Stansted Transformation Programme” also began in January, which will see the biggest upgrade in passenger facilities since the iconic Lord Foster-designed terminal opened in 1991.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 4 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 5 Man in 40s rescued from beneath the Orwell Bridge
- 6 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 7 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 8 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 9 Man 'let down' by GPs after undiagnosed pneumonia death, mother claims
- 10 Town set to learn Carabao Cup and Papa John's Trophy opponents
This phase of development will focus on enhancing the terminal, providing an additional 30 check-in desks, extra seating and restaurants in the departures lounge, as well as providing additional car and aircraft parking to cater for increased demand.