Record price paid for work by East Anglian artist Thomas Churchyard
- Credit: Archant
Southwold pictures by Woodbrige artist Thomas Churchyard stole the show at a sale of pictures by Durrants.
On June 12, Durrants Auctioneers held an Antiques and Fine Art Sale which included the “Sally Kibble Collection” of pictures by Thomas Churchyard (1798 – 1865).
In total 60 lots were offered – predominantly watercolours of local scenes including Woodbridge, Lowestoft, Aldeburgh, and Southwold.
Competition was fierce throughout the sale – a private collection like the one offered is rare to find.
The star lot of the day turned out to be Lot 21, a watercolour of “Gun Hill, Southwold”, which sold for £6,500 (before premium), and is believed to be a world record price for a watercolour by this much loved East Anglian Artist.
You may also want to watch:
Other highlights from the sale (all watercolours except for Lots 28 and 29) were:
Lot 22: “The path from Gun Hill to the Beach at Southwold” - £3,100*
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 3 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 6 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 7 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 8 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 9 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 10 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
Lot 48: “Saint Mary’s Church” - £1,250
Lot 23: “South Green, Southwold” - £1,000
Lot 29: “Gale near Woodbridge” - £750
Lot 28: “Woodland Scene” - £680
Durrants next sale of Fine Art and Antiques will be held on Friday 26th June, commencing 10am. For further information telephone 01502 713490 or email email@example.com