Region scores 'Best to Work For' double
A SUFFOLK-based corporate insurance brokers and an Essex law firm have made it into a list of the top 100 small companies to work for in the UK. The Sunday Times list places the Davis Group at Newmarket in 32nd spot, while Colchester legal firm Birkett Long comes in at 47.
A SUFFOLK-based corporate insurance brokers and an Essex law firm have made it into a list of the top 100 small companies to work for in the UK.
The Sunday Times list places the Davis Group at Newmarket in 32nd spot, while Colchester legal firm Birkett Long comes in at 47.
Just under 350 small and medium-sized enterprises entered the competition this year, and nearly 29,000 employees were surveyed to determine the rankings.
In top place was Ilkeston-based social inclusion charity P3, followed by Lane4 Management Group, of Bourne End, and public relations company Firefly Communications., based in London.
Judges described the Davis Group, whose group chairman and chief executive of 18 years is Leigh Davis Smart, as “a generous workplace”.
“Staff feel a strong sense of pride in their company, with a positive score of 86% and say the organisation really tries to help its employees, with a positive score of 88%, it says.
- 1 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 2 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 3 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 4 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 5 Plans to explore Dutch-style cycling network in Suffolk town
- 6 Indiana Jones-inspired metal detectorist finds £65k Roman hoard
- 7 'I like his profile' - McKenna looking forward to working with Ndaba
- 8 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 9 Man exposes himself to two women on Thorpeness beach
- 10 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
It has annual sales of £5.8million, and a work force of 86.
Birkett Long, which employs 153 people and has annual sales of £7.7million, scored highly for its stimulating work, and staff felt positively about their job security.
“There is a sense of even-handed justice towards employees,” judges said. “The 153 staff, who have worked at the company for an average of seven years, feel they are part of a rigorously fair organisation.”
Staff felt fairly paid and rewarded compared with similar firms (68%) and 73% felt there were opportunities to learn and grow.
The Davis Group, who were listed for the four successive year, climbed the ranks 12 places from last year, despite 32% more companies being surveyed.
“This is a big achievement for us and one that everyone is part of. We are particularly proud to be recognised for the charity work we have made part of our daily working life,” said Henrietta Flynn, group human resources and marketing director.