Retail: John Lewis and Waitrose staff likely to receive 15% annual bonus
- Credit: Archant
John Lewis and Waitrose staff are set for bonuses worth 15% of their salaries tomorrow as the retail chains continue strong trading.
John Lewis Partnership, which is owned by its 85,500 employees, will announce the bonus award alongside annual results, with the group expected to report a 7% rise in underlying profits to £370million.
The bonus percentage is set to be down from 17% a year earlier due to the increased cost of servicing the group’s £840m pension fund deficit.
The retailer’s 10-year plan to eliminate the deficit included a one-off payment of £85m in January followed by further annual cash payments of £44m.
Each worker, from weekend check-out assistants to chairman Charlie Mayfield, receives the same percentage of salary as a bonus.
You may also want to watch:
The reported figure of 15% is believed to amount to £200m in total and represent around £3,500 to the average full-time employee.
The department store and supermarket arms of the partnership have continued to trade well, with John Lewis’s Christmas like-for-like sales up 6.9% and Waitrose reporting a 3.1% rise.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 4 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 5 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 8 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 Exit Interview: Ward was the model pro who started fast but simply ran out of steam
Independent retail analyst Nick Bubb has highlighted concerns about the impact of intense supermarket competition on profit margins at Waitrose.
But he said: “John Lewis Partnership should be reasonably optimistic about the outlook for the UK consumer and for profit and bonus growth in 2014/15.”
For more on the staff bonuses, click here.