Richard Norrington to succeed Paul Winter as chief executive at Ipswich Building Society
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Building Society has named Richard Norrington as successor to Paul Winter, who is due to retire as chief executive in December.
Mr Norrington has gained extensive leadership experience during a career in the financial services sector of nearly 30 years.
He spent 16 years with Barclays Bank and, more recently, 10 years at the Clydesdale & Yorkshire Bank, where he was regional director for the East of England.
Sarah Evans, chairman of Ipswich Building Society, said: “Following a thorough selection process I am delighted to confirm Richard Norrington’s appointment.
“Not only has Richard been active in leadership roles within our sector which make him the right fit for this role, but his experience and knowledge of our heartland region will equip him with a solid understanding of our members’ needs.”
You may also want to watch:
She added: “We are grateful to Paul Winter, our current chief executive officer, for the tremendous commitment and energy he has shared with all of us.
“Paul has steered us through a multitude of changes in the sector and helped place the society on the map as a responsible business, extending pride in our mutual status and commitment to local communities.”
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 4 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 5 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
- 9 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 10 Comedian Jack Whitehall visits Suffolk's 'most incredible' Wilderness Reserve
Mr Norrington said: “I’m looking forward to working alongside the chairman, board and colleagues at the Ipswich Building Society to support its members. It will be a priority for me to continue the community focus the Society has developed as part of its long history as a mutual.”
Paul Winter, who has led the society for nine years, will continue in his role as chief executive until his departure and during a planned transition period.
He has been on the society’s board since 1990, having held the position of sales and marketing director before his appointment as chief executive in 2007.
Mr Winter, who was awarded an MBE in the 2015 New Year’s Honours List, is also currently an independent director of the University of Suffolk and chaired the Greater Ipswich City Deal which in 2014 successfully gained Government funding for large-scale skills investment in and around the town.