RSA Insurance receives £5.6bn takeover proposal from Zurich
- Credit: PA
More Than owner RSA Insurance said it was willing to back a £5.6 billion takeover bid from Swiss rival Zurich after its suitor put forward a proposed offer.
RSA said Zurich had made a revised approach worth 550p a share, which comes just hours before a 5pm deadline for Zurich to make a firm offer or walk away under City takeover rules.
RSA has now asked for the UK Takeover Panel to extend the deadline until September 22 as they hammer out a formal deal.
Details of the proposed bid comes after Zurich recently insisted it would not overpay for RSA.
But a price of 550p a share will no doubt come as a relief to investors after speculation Zurich was working on a lower-than-expected offer of under 530p a share.
You may also want to watch:
RSA said its board had “indicated to Zurich that it would be willing to recommend an offer at the level of the possible offer to RSA shareholders”.
Shareholders will also receive the dividend payout worth 3.5p a share if the takeover goes ahead, lifting the overall price to £5.63 billion.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 4 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 5 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 6 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 7 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 8 Comedian Jack Whitehall visits Suffolk's 'most incredible' Wilderness Reserve
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 10 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
Insurance expert Eamonn Flanagan at Shore Capital said a takeover for RSA was now “inevitable”.
But he added a rival offer was still possible “from another Continental European insurer”.