Saxmundham: Mystery surrounds the sudden closure of the Bell House Hotel
Mystery surrounds the sudden closure of a historic coaching inn.
The Bell House Hotel in Saxmundham High Street has abruptly shut its doors.
It is understood that staff were expecting to meet new owners on Friday, but were instead told the premises was closing.
Locksmiths have also been seen changing the locks, while signs have now been put up on the door and in windows informing customers that the building is shut for refurbishment until further notice. The hotel is a key premises in the town centre and Ken Howe, chairman of Businesses of Saxmundham, said he hoped a solution could be found quickly.
“It’s a great shame when things like this close,” he said.
“From the town’s point of view we want something to happen sooner rather than later.
“Especially with a another white elephant – the White Hart – also shut across the road. That’s been closed for quite a while. With The Bell on top of that, it’s not good news.”
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 5 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 6 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 7 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 8 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 9 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 10 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
No one from the Bell House Hotel has been available for comment.