Saxmundham: Mystery surrounds the sudden closure of the Bell House Hotel
Mystery surrounds the sudden closure of a historic coaching inn.
The Bell House Hotel in Saxmundham High Street has abruptly shut its doors.
It is understood that staff were expecting to meet new owners on Friday, but were instead told the premises was closing.
Locksmiths have also been seen changing the locks, while signs have now been put up on the door and in windows informing customers that the building is shut for refurbishment until further notice. The hotel is a key premises in the town centre and Ken Howe, chairman of Businesses of Saxmundham, said he hoped a solution could be found quickly.
“It’s a great shame when things like this close,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“From the town’s point of view we want something to happen sooner rather than later.
“Especially with a another white elephant – the White Hart – also shut across the road. That’s been closed for quite a while. With The Bell on top of that, it’s not good news.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mike Bacon: It's going to take more than 'potential' to get into Cook's starting XI next season
- 3 Angry resident threatened with arrest over fake parking tickets
- 4 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
- 5 Police hunt for wanted men after west Suffolk shooting
- 6 WATCH: Rude graffiti highlights 'huge' potholes
- 7 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 8 Lorry driver charged after £8.5m cocaine seizure
- 9 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 10 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
No one from the Bell House Hotel has been available for comment.