Six honours for Adnams in World Beer Awards 2019
- Credit: Archant
Adnams’ low alcohol Ghost Ship Citrus Pale Ale 0.5% has won a Gold award in the World Beer Awards 2019 just over a year after its launch.
Southwold-based Adnams started brewing the low alcohol version of Ghost Ship in response to growing interest in low alcohol beers.
The installation in the brewery of a high tech de-alcoholisation plant enabled head brewer Fergus Fitzgerald to retain the flavour of Ghost Ship 4.5% by stripping out the alcohol at the end of the brewing process.
The production of Ghost Ship has doubled since its launch in June 2018 due to increased demand.
Also Jack Brand Earl Grey Lager was awarded top experimental beer in the UK.
The lager is brewed from Galaxy hops using Pilsner malt before being infused with tea pigs' Darjeeling Earl Grey blend.
Well established Adnams' beers such as Broadside and Triple Knot picked up best in the UK in their categories in the annual global competition, which selects the very best internationally recognised beer styles.
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 5 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 6 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 7 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 8 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 9 Cobwebs spotted covering entire trees across Suffolk
- 10 7 of Suffolk's biggest events to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee
Both Barrels Oak Aged Broadside picked up Silver in Wood Aged Flavoured Category and Ghost Ship 4.5% Citrus Pale Ale won Bronze in Pale Beer Speciality.
Head brewer Fergus Fitzgerald said: "It is always great to see the quality of our beers recognised in these high profile awards. I am especially pleased for the brewing team who have worked so hard over the last few years while we've invested in and modernised the brewery in Southwold. It's great to see the well-established beers, like Broadside, pick up medals alongside the newer beers like Earl Grey lager. Getting a Gold for Ghost Ship 0.5% is particularly rewarding for the brewing team who have spent long hours developing the beer and fine tuning the process."