Sofa company is bringing historic building 'back to life'
- Credit: Eddisons
A family-run sofa company is opening in a listed building in the centre of Bury St Edmunds next month.
Bespoke furniture retailer Sofas & Stuff has taken over the empty period premises that was formerly home to Laura Ashley and plans to open on September 4.
The new sofa store is in the Grade II listed The Lexicon in Cornhill in the heart of the historic market town.
Sofas & Stuff is a family business with a long history in the furniture trade and prides itself on being able to design and create bespoke pieces using any fabric in the world.
Andrew Cussins, founder and CEO of Sofas & Stuff, said: "We are excited to launch our new showroom in Bury St Edmunds, bringing the Sofas & Stuff experience to the beautiful town and surrounding area.
"Our team can’t wait to become part of the community, and to welcome customers into our new home.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Cussins began his career in 1980, starting out as an apprentice at his father’s long-standing furniture empire, Waring & Gillow.
He went on to found Sofa Workshop, which he sold in 2002, and then launched Sofas & Stuff in 2009 with just four employees in Fittleworth, West Sussex.
The company's dedicated Bury St Edmunds webpage said the store would feature a large collection of bespoke sofas, chairs, sofa beds and beds, "all lovingly British made".
- 1 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 2 The stats which put Bonne top of the League One charts and firmly on course for a very rare Ipswich Town milestone
- 3 Suffolk families stunned after homes transformed on Changing Rooms
- 4 Channel 4's Changing Rooms comes to Bury St Edmunds tonight
- 5 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 6 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
- 7 Suffolk coast named one of top UK destinations for autumn
- 8 Donacien on his Ipswich Town future and why he wears the No.44 shirt
- 9 Man left with serious injuries after late-night attack in town centre
- 10 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
It added: "Our experienced and friendly design consultants are always on hand to help you create the perfect bespoke furniture for your home, upholstered in any fabric in the world."
A spokeswoman for Sofas & Stuff said three new members of staff have been employed at the showroom currently.
Mike Kirkham, from Bury BID (Business Improvement District), said: "We are really pleased that another business has chosen to trade in our vibrant town centre and to see this historic building in the Cornhill being brought back to life with such a creative family business.
"We wish them every success and welcome them to the BID family."
Eddisons acting with joint agent GCW, let the unit to Sofas & Stuff on a long-term lease.
The company has taken the ground floor and first-floor space, totalling 3,840 square feet.
- Sofas & Stuff has launched a competition to win a bespoke, handmade sofa worth £2,000. Visit the website to enter. The closing date is October 31.