Southwold: Adnams extends Jack Brand craft beer range by launching its first lager
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk-based brewer Adnams has launched its first ever lager.
Dry Hopped Lager is the latest addition to the Southwold company’s Jack Brand range of craft beers which was launched in April this year with Innovation, closely followed by Clump Sagin and Rye IPA, in June.
Adnams head brewer Fergus Fitzgerald said: “For our first true lager we were keen to make a beer that had the appearance that everyone is familiar with but with the twist of more fruit driven hops. We did several trials on our pilot brew kit to try to get the right balance and eventually settled on this recipe.
“We’ve brewed it with Pilsner malt and added a touch of Vienna malt for a few more grain notes. We used Sterling and Amarillo hops to add a slight citrus tone to the beer.
“We brought in the lager yeast and fermented it at 13 degrees C which in comparison to our normal ale fermentations meant for a long fermentation but it helped to keep the influence of the other flavours of the yeast really low.
You may also want to watch:
“We fermented it drier than we would do for most beers and once finished we added some more hops, this time some Galaxy from Australia to give slight mango and passion fruit notes, and then stored the beer cold.”
Adnams sales director Max Bond added: “Our Jack Brand beers have made a great start and we are hugely excited about the addition to the range of a distinctive, flavoursome lager. Head brewer Fergus Fitzgerald has created the beer combining traditional lager methods with modern hop flavours.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 3 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 4 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 5 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 6 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy
- 9 A&E under pressure as patient levels return to pre-pandemic levels
- 10 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
“There has been a growing amount of interest and customer demand for craft beers and lagers and Jack Brand Dry Hopped Lager presents a great opportunity for our pub and free-trade customers.”
Jack Brand Dry Hopped Lager is available from Adnams stores and online. Adnams also brews a range of traditional beers, plus gin and vodka from its own distillery, with whisky also due to be on sale in time for Christmas.