Staff could help firms save �38m on energy bills, says Carbon Trust
STAFF could save businesses in the East of England �38m on energy bills and 156,400 tonnes of CO2 - equivalent to five times the monthly carbon emissions of all the households in Chelmsford, according to new analysis by the Carbon Trust.
Engaging employees in cutting energy use, paper waste and travel has the potential to save the average East of England business up to 15% of their energy bill or �6,000 per year – equivalent to powering 3.5km of street lights for a year.
Larger businesses can save �150K and over 500 tonnes of carbon dioxide annually, the Carbon Trust said adding that each individual employees’ efforts can amount to carbon emissions reductions (220kgs CO2) equivalent to heating the average household for a month.
The new findings coincide with the launch of a new online office tool called “Carbon Trust Empower” from the Carbon Trust, which it said could save UK businesses and public bodies �500m on energy bills and 2m tonnes of CO2.
Staff can explore energy saving opportunities throughout their office – starting by considering how they arrive for work, with options to join a company carpool or travel by public transport, before moving on to their desk, where they can commit to switch off their PC when not in use, print double-sided, and teleconference rather than travel.
The virtual journey also helps staff cut energy waste in other parts of the office, such as the reception area, kitchen, corridors and toilets.
Richard Rugg, director of Carbon Trust programmes, said: “Companies often struggle to harness the huge energy savings that an effectively engaged workforce can help deliver.
- 1 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 2 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 3 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 4 Colchester gets city status - fuelling disappointment over no Ipswich bid
- 5 Indiana Jones-inspired metal detectorist finds £65k Roman hoard
- 6 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 7 My Suffolk Life: ‘We had to move to Suffolk to be together’
- 8 Big sales, Bosmans and 'mutual consent' - Why contracts are a balancing act
- 9 Severe delays on major Suffolk route after crash
- 10 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
“Part of the problem employers face is making actions practical, fun and sustained. By creating a virtual tour entirely from an employee’s viewpoint, every aspect of Empower has been designed with the end-user in mind.”
Companies can encourage their staff to sign up to energy saving for free at www.carbontrust.co.uk/empower. Companies interested in tailoring the software for their own business should call the Advice Line on 0800 085 2005.