Stansted Airport celebrates breaking through the 25m passenger a year barrier
- Credit: Archant
The annual passenger total at Stansted Airport has passed the 25m mark for the first time.
Numbers at Stansted have been growing rapidly in recent years following its acquisition in 2013 from the former BAA group by Manchester Airports Group (MAG).
Growth has been helped by a multi-million pound transformation of the main terminal building, agreements with several new operators and increased activity by established airline customers including Ryanair.
Andrew Cowan, chief executive at Stansted Airport, said: “To welcome 25m passengers to Stansted in the last year is a fantastic achievement and a clear reflection of the significant and sustained growth we have experienced at the airport in the four years under MAG’s ownership.
“I’d like to thank all 25m passengers for choosing Stansted in the last 12 months and for helping us achieve this historic milestone, and our highly successful and valued airline partners for driving the growth through their commitment to the airport.
You may also want to watch:
“I’d also like to pay tribute to our hard-working and loyal staff who have all played their part in helping make Stansted the huge success story it is today.”
Mr Cowan added: “With over 190 destinations now available across our extensive and growing route network, and our busiest ever summer season well underway, we expect to welcome around 26.5m passengers by the end of the financial year as even more passengers choose to fly from Stansted.”
- 1 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 7 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 8 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 9 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
To help celebrate reaching the major landmark, two holidaymakers were surprised with two free flights from Stansted with Ryanair.
The lucky recipients were Millie Hughes from Braintree and Thea Towers from Chelmsford who were presented with a pair of return tickets with Ryanair to any destination on its route network when they checked in for their flights to Palma Majorca last Thursday.
Friends Thea and Millie are regular users of Stansted and were thrilled to be the airport’s milestone passengers. Thea said: “We are truly gobsmacked to be Stansted’s 25millionth passengers, and to win two free flights has really made this a brilliant day and a fantastic way to start our week away.”
Kenny Jacobs, chief marketing officer at Ryanair, said: “As London Stansted’s largest airline, Ryanair is pleased to help the airport deliver record passenger numbers and celebrate carrying 25m annual passengers the first time.
“Since our first Stansted flight in 1989, Ryanair has carried over 230m passengers through the airport and we currently offer over 140 Stansted routes. We look forward to continuing to grow our traffic and network at our largest airport base.”