Stansted Airport reports busiest ever February
- Credit: Archant
Stansted Airport has reported its busiest ever February, with more than 1.69million passengers passing through its terminal building during the month.
The figure represents a 15% increase on the total of just under 1.47m achieved in February last year, and marks a 23rd consecutive month of passenger growth for Stansted.
Even adjusting for this year’s extra leap day last month’s total beats the previous February best, recorded in 2007, and the monthly load factor of 84.9% – a measure of how many of the seats available on fights are filled – was also a record for the airport in February.
Stansted’s rolling annual passenger total now stands at more than 22.96m, an 11.5% increase compared with the total of just under 20.60m for the previous 12 months, and the highest achieved by the airport since the year to August 2008.
Andrew Harrison, managing director at Stansted Airport, said: “The upward trend in passenger traffic at Stansted continued during the month as we experienced our busiest ever February, the 23rd consecutive month of passenger growth and the highest annual passenger total since August 2008.
“This strong demand continues to be driven by record numbers of passengers on each flight arriving and departing from Stansted plus airlines increasing capacity on key routes including Berlin, Cologne, Prague and the Scottish cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow.”
He added: “Stansted is the UK’s fastest growing major airport at the heart of the UK’s innovation corridor and we remain focused on providing passengers with even more choice of airlines and destinations to better serve our region’s needs.”
- 1 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 2 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 3 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 4 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 5 Teenager arrested after six people injured on university campus
- 6 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 7 New hair salon opens up with its very own puppy on the premises
- 8 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 9 A12 and A14 set for upgrades after £200m investment in Suffolk roads
- 10 Suffolk town named one of the best places to go on holiday in the UK
Cargo volumes at Stansted also saw a significant increase last month, with the tonnage 19,041 being up 9.4% compared with February last year. This pushed the rolling annual total to 240,505 tonnes, an increase of 4.5% on the previous 12 months.