Stansted: Airport’s new security search area receives its first passengers
- Credit: Archant
Stansted Airport’s £80million terminal transformation project reached its latest milestone today when the first section of a new security search area opened to passengers.
The first phase of the project has seen the security area relocated away from its “landlocked” central location to a new area twice the size and receiving natural light at the south side of the terminal building.
The new area will accommodate 22 security lanes when complete compared with the previous 18, with dedicated lanes for families, passengers with reduced mobility and fast track for premium travellers.
Self-service “smart” access gates will scan boarding cards before passengers enter the new security screening area as part of the airport’s drive to improve the passenger experience.
The security area is due to be fully operational by Christmas following the launch of the transformation project in June this year by the Transport Secretary, Patrick McLoughlin.
You may also want to watch:
The project is part of a major investment by Stansted Airport’s new owners, MAG, to transform the terminal by making better use of existing space and provide passengers with new security facilities and an enlarged departure lounge.
Martin Lyall, Stansted Airport’s transformation director, said: “Our passengers have told us they want to get through security as quickly and safely as possible and we believe the additional space, easier access and improved way-finding in a great new location flooded with natural light is a real step change that will get passengers through security more quickly and efficiently.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 6 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 9 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
“It’s been a challenging few weeks as we move from the old search area to the new location in time for the busy Christmas getaway but with careful planning and a dedicated team working around the clock, I am pleased to say we have hit another major milestone on time.
“There’s still plenty more to do and we will begin construction on the departure lounge phase of the project in the new year but Stansted really is changing, and changing for the better, and we’re confident passengers, airlines and staff will love the new terminal when it’s fully completed in 2015.”
Phase two of the project, work on which starts in January, will see a complete redesign of the international departure lounge, including additional seating, better restaurants, more shopping choice and additional flight information screens.