Stansted: Airport’s passenger numbers top 2m for first time in four years
- Credit: Archant
Stansted Airport has reported double-digit growth in passenger numbers for the third month running, with the total topping the 2million mark for the first time in four years.
Last month’s total of 2.035m represents an 11.6% increase compared with 1.824m in August last year and the first time that the figure has exceeded 2m in any month since August 2010.
It brings the airport’s rolling annual total to 18.906m, a 7.2% increase compared with 17.643m in the previous 12-month period.
Stansted, which was acquired in March last year by Manchester Airports Group (MAG) from the former BAA group, said the latest increase ? following growth of 11.7% in June and 12.2% in July ? highlighted the airport’s potential role in meeting increased demand for air travel.
Andrew Harrison, Stansted’s managing director, said: “It’s great to see the airport so busy again this summer, thanks to the new routes and increased frequencies offered by our airline partners.
You may also want to watch:
“During August, we welcomed over 2m passengers to Stansted, our busiest single month and the first time we have broken through the two million mark since August 2010.
“Over the last year, Stansted has been the fastest growing airport in London with passenger numbers increasing by over 7% a year, reinforcing our view that Stansted’s existing capacity will make a vital contribution to meeting the demand for air travel over the next 10 to 15 years.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 5 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 6 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 7 The end of an era as Suffolk's last Debenhams store closes
- 8 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 9 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 10 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
“Stansted has the ability to more than double current passenger throughput and serve up to 40 to 45 million passengers a year on the existing single runway.
“To keep pace with this growth and plan for the future we are investing £260m to transform passenger services and facilities, and just this month we have launched a consultation on how we can develop Stansted and make effective use of the existing capacity on the airport’s single runway.
“Stansted’s potential for sustainable, responsible and cost-effective growth will be of enormous value as the UK looks to increase global connectivity over the next 10-15 years. We want to hear from all those with an interest in how Stansted grows so I would encourage as many people as possible to share their views and ideas during this process.”