Stansted Airport to close overnight due to Covid travel ban
Stansted Airport’s terminal will close overnight due to the ban on passenger travel during lockdown, it has been announced.
The decision comes after passenger numbers through the terminal fell by 84% in recent months.
Airport bosses predict that the figure for November will be worse still after a ban on non-work related travel was put in place during lockdown.
A spokesman for Stansted Airport said: “As a result of the current lockdown and ban on international travel, we’ve scaled back the terminal’s hours of operation as we did at the start of the pandemic.
“The terminal will remain open during the day, with a reduced number of flights operating but it will close overnight between 5pm and 5am.
“The runway will stay operational throughout so we can continue handling vital cargo flights.
“These changes are only temporary and when the lockdown ends and people are able to start travelling again, the terminal will return to its normal opening hours.”
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks