Stansted Airport welcomes first bmi regional flight from Derry
- Credit: Archant
A new service between Stansted Airport and Derry, Northern Ireland’s second city, has been launched by bmi regional.
Passengers arriving on the first inbound flight and the connecting outbound flight were treated to cake and coffee to celebrate the launch.
The timetable, which offers twice daily rotations every day except Saturdays, when there will be one flight each way, has been designed to appeal both to business and leisure travellers, making it easy to do the round-trip in a day.
Jochen Schnadt, chief commercial officer at bmi regional, said: “The launch of this important new route, bmi regional’s first to/from Northern Ireland, connects business and leisure travellers from the capital and East Anglia to the North West region of Ireland.
“Given Derry’s recent and sustained period of economic growth, significant investment in new jobs and the various future growth projects, we are positive that the enhanced double-daily connectivity bmi regional’s new service offers will generate additional activity in the market.
“It has become one of our fastest selling route launches and we are very pleased with customer acceptance of our latest service.”
He added: “We were delighted today to welcome the Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District Council aboard our inaugural flights. Our distinguished guest joined a number of members of the media to be amongst the first to experience our quality and convenient service on this new route.”
- 1 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 2 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 3 £1.5million project set to turn north Essex towns into giant gaming areas
- 4 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 5 Police release picture of man after dog walker threatened in Sudbury
- 6 Town take up option on Tyreece Simpson... plus two other youngsters update
- 7 New curator appointed at Suffolk tourist attraction
- 8 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
- 9 Andy Warren: Why keeping Sam Morsy is vital for Ipswich Town
- 10 Plans for 115 homes in village gets backing to move forward
Andrew Cowan, chief executive at Stansted Airport, said: “We’re delighted to welcome bmi regional to London Stansted for the first time and we look forward to working with them to support the vital and popular link to the City of Derry.
“It will act as an important gateway to London and the East of England as well as providing easy access and excellent flight schedules for both business and leisure passengers wishing to visit the City and the beautiful scenery of north west Northern Ireland.”
Derry was named UK City of Culture 2013 thanks to its combination of a rich cultural heritage and a vibrant social scene, with a mix of restaurants, bars, museums and more.
It is also the gateway to the wider North West area of Ireland and its spectacular coastline, which is regularly used for big film productions including the latest Star Wars franchise and Game of Thrones, as well as being the starting point for both the Wild Atlantic Way and the Causeway Coastal Route.