Stansted Airport welcomes first bmi regional flight from Derry
- Credit: Archant
A new service between Stansted Airport and Derry, Northern Ireland’s second city, has been launched by bmi regional.
Passengers arriving on the first inbound flight and the connecting outbound flight were treated to cake and coffee to celebrate the launch.
The timetable, which offers twice daily rotations every day except Saturdays, when there will be one flight each way, has been designed to appeal both to business and leisure travellers, making it easy to do the round-trip in a day.
Jochen Schnadt, chief commercial officer at bmi regional, said: “The launch of this important new route, bmi regional’s first to/from Northern Ireland, connects business and leisure travellers from the capital and East Anglia to the North West region of Ireland.
“Given Derry’s recent and sustained period of economic growth, significant investment in new jobs and the various future growth projects, we are positive that the enhanced double-daily connectivity bmi regional’s new service offers will generate additional activity in the market.
You may also want to watch:
“It has become one of our fastest selling route launches and we are very pleased with customer acceptance of our latest service.”
He added: “We were delighted today to welcome the Mayor of Derry City and Strabane District Council aboard our inaugural flights. Our distinguished guest joined a number of members of the media to be amongst the first to experience our quality and convenient service on this new route.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 4 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 9 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 10 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
Andrew Cowan, chief executive at Stansted Airport, said: “We’re delighted to welcome bmi regional to London Stansted for the first time and we look forward to working with them to support the vital and popular link to the City of Derry.
“It will act as an important gateway to London and the East of England as well as providing easy access and excellent flight schedules for both business and leisure passengers wishing to visit the City and the beautiful scenery of north west Northern Ireland.”
Derry was named UK City of Culture 2013 thanks to its combination of a rich cultural heritage and a vibrant social scene, with a mix of restaurants, bars, museums and more.
It is also the gateway to the wider North West area of Ireland and its spectacular coastline, which is regularly used for big film productions including the latest Star Wars franchise and Game of Thrones, as well as being the starting point for both the Wild Atlantic Way and the Causeway Coastal Route.