Stansted: Freight carrier Cargolux launches Hong Kong and Luxembourg link
- Credit: Archant
STANSTED Airport’s cargo operation has been boosted with the arrival of Europe’s largest dedicated cargo airline, Cargolux.
The Luxembourg-based carrier is to fly a Boeing 747 on a twice weekly service between Stansted, Hong Kong and Luxembourg.
Stansted is already one of the largest freight hubs in the UK as the base for international cargo operations that transport more than 200,000 tonnes of goods annually to destinations worldwide
Other freight carriers operating out the Stansted include Asiana, British Airways World Cargo, Global Supply Systems, Fed EX, Martinair, Royal Mail, Panalpina, Titan, TNT and UPS.
Mark Souter, head of airline relations at Stansted Airport, said: “We’re delighted that Europe’s largest dedicated freight operator has selected the modern, world class cargo facilities at Stansted from which to operate their freight services between Hong Kong and Luxembourg.
You may also want to watch:
“The cargo hub at Stansted offers excellent operational capacity, airfield and infrastructure reliability and easy access to the road network.
“Together with the ability to operate around the clock, Stansted provides businesses with access to multiple markets across the globe and adds significantly to the desirability of the UK as a place to locate and invest.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 4 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 5 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 6 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 7 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 8 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 9 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 10 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
“The professionalism and reputation of the cargo partners already based here was also a major influencing factor in Cargolux’s decision.
“Our cargo operation is an important part of the Stansted offer and vital to the economic well-being of the region and country as a whole so we welcome Cargolux to Stansted and look forward to a long and successful business partnership.”
Mark Boffee, Cargolux Country Manager UK, said the new service expanded the freight carrier’s UK operation and offered an easy connection to every destination on its worldwide network.
“Our customers can now benefit from a fast and reliable airfreight connection to the worldwide Cargolux network that significantly cuts down on shipping times,” he said.
“The airline has embarked on a fleet roll-over program and is currently replacing its proven Boeing 747-400 freighters with 13 units of Boeing’s new and advanced 747-8 freighters, six of which were delivered by the end of 2012.”