Stansted passenger numbers reach pre-crunch heights
- Credit: Archant
Passenger numbers at Stansted Airport soared to new heights in June, with an 11% rise on the same month last year, figures reveal.
More than two million passengers passed through the terminal, representing an increase of more than 200,000 passengers.
It was the airport’s busiest June since 2008, the start of the worldwide credit crunch. Manchester Airports Group (MAG) bought the airport from Heathrow Airport Holdings, formerly BAA, in 2013 and has been striving to increase services since. One of its major ambitions has been the return of long haul flights and it is set to celebrate new services to the USA and Mexico later this month.
The total number of passengers flying from Stansted in the year rose to 21.5million, an increase of 16.5% over the previous 12 months, the highest annual rate of growth of any major UK airport and follows a major upgrade, which is still ongoing, at the terminal.
Cargo tonnage fell slightly by -2.2% in June, but the moving annual total showed an increase of 9.9%.
You may also want to watch:
Managing director Andrew Harrison said: “Passenger numbers at Stansted continue to increase at a rapid rate as we head into the busy summer travel period. June was the 13th consecutive month of double digit passenger growth and this upward trend continues to be driven by the expanded route network we have developed with our airline partners.
“Later this month we will see the welcome return of long-haul services to Stansted as Thomas Cook launch flights to the USA and Mexico. These flights to Orlando, Las Vegas and Cancun will be a fantastic addition to our destinations board and the first of what will be a growing long-haul offer from Stansted in the coming years - providing people in our catchment with greater choice and value.
- 1 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 2 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 3 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 4 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 5 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 6 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 7 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 8 Comedian Jack Whitehall visits Suffolk's 'most incredible' Wilderness Reserve
- 9 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 10 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
“The Airports Commission last week recognised the strategic importance of Stansted and the vital contribution the airport will make to meeting demand in the UK. Later this year we will complete the £80 million project to transform the terminal and also deliver an £8 million upgrade to the Satellite One departures area as part of our strategy to attract new airlines. This all adds up to a very bright future for Stansted and will allow us to offer passengers in London and the East of England the best facilities and choice of destinations.”