Stansted: Transport Seclect Committee member Jim Fitzpatrick MP views progress at airport
- Credit: Archant
Transport Select Committee member Jim Fitzpatrick MP has visited Stansted Airport on a fact-finding trip as part of a Industry and Parliament Trust (IPT) Fellowship.
The IPT is a charity that works to promote mutual understanding between Parliament and business, with its Fellowships involving bespoke placements in industry for MPs, MEPs and Peers structured around a set of learning objectives decided by each parliamentarian at the beginning of the programme.
Mr Fitzpartick has completed 13 days of his Fellowship so far, focusing on aviation, shipping and logistics.
His visit to Stansted included a behind-the-scenes guided tour of the airport including its freight operation and work on the £80million remodelling of its passenger terminal.
He also spent time with airport officials to hear about how, under new owner MAG, Stansted is focusing on securing long-haul services and making the case for investment to improve the rail links.
Mr Fitzpatrick said: “It was fantastic to see first-hand the operational success of Stansted as part of my IPT Fellowship in aviation and logistics. The airport continues to provide an excellent service to the South-East and beyond and I have no doubt it will go from strength to strength in the years to come.”
Chris Wiggan, Stansted Airport’s head of public affairs and sustainability, said: “The airport was delighted to welcome Mr Fitzpatrick and we hope that he left us better informed about how Stansted operates. The visit was a great opportunity to showcase the significant investment the airport is making to improve facilities and provide an update on our work to deliver an even greater choice of destinations for our passengers.”
- 1 The most beautiful places to live in Suffolk - according to estate agents
- 2 Norwood set to stay... despite seven clubs showing interest
- 3 'He's made massive strides here' - Town recall striker Simpson from Swindon
- 4 The Secrets of Dunwich: East Anglia's lost capital
- 5 'Ludicrous' - Stanley boss on 'big turning point' in Town loss
- 6 Villages shock as seven Suffolk postboxes stolen in 10 days
- 7 5 places to spot celebrities in Suffolk
- 8 'He's a s**t house' - Stanley chairman slams Town skipper Morsy
- 9 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 10 Emergency services attend Felixstowe bungalow fire