Stowmarket-based STC Teamwear wins joint Oxford and Cambridge university rugby kit contract
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk-based STC Teamwear has won a three-year contract to design and supply kit to both the Oxford and Cambridge university rugby teams.
The Stowmarket company, which is part of the Touchline Group, becomes the first sportswear firm to supply both Varsity teams with clothing for both on and off the pitch.
Jamie Warner, managing director, said: “To supply both of the Varsity teams is certainly a triumph for STC Teamwear.
“Having supplied many clubs, colleges and universities with sportwear and leisurewear across a huge range of sports, we were confident that we had the pedigree that the Varsity teams were looking for and we’re really pleased that we were chosen as the exclusive sportswear partner.”
This year’s Varsity matches, at Twickenham in December, will see the men of Oxford going for an unprecedented sixth consecutive win, although the Cambridge team this year may feature no less a figure than Wales and British & Irish Lions centre Jamie Roberts, who has been accepted to do a Masters degree in medical science at Queens’ College.
You may also want to watch:
For the first time, this year’s ladies’ match will also take place at Twickenham, being played earlier the same day.
Ilyas Khan, chairman of the Varsity Match Company, which represents both university rugby clubs, said: “We are very pleased to have entered into the partnership with STC Teamwear who have a wonderfully competitive offering.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
“We welcome the fact that Jamie is a devoted rugby fan, having played and coached at a senior level, and acknowledge that his enthusiasm for his business as well as his attention to detail in terms of the needs of our players is paramount.
“We look forward to building on this partnership and to seeing both the men’s and the women’s teams entering Twickenham in the new STC Teamwear kit.”
Mr Warner added: “It’s a major frustration to many women’s sports teams that specifically-designed sportswear is not readily available.
“We’ve fought off some strong competition to supply all representative teams (20 in total), and are delighted that they’ll wear the STC brand of match play kit as well as pre- and post-match wear.
“We’re extremely proud to have designed the women’s teamwear, especially since it’s their first time playing the Varsity match at Twickenham, and we know that our women’s-fit designs helped us to win this fantastic contract.”