Practical project at leisure centre
- Credit: West Suffolkl College
Business and retail students from West Suffolk College joined forces with local Bury St Edmunds business Planet Laser to host a special night for students.
The students were tasked with the researching, planning, organising, advertising and ticket sales for the event so as to experience what it is like to work on a live brief end to end – just as they would if running a business of their own in the future.
Victoria Irving, business and retail student age 19 from Risby said: “Prior to the event itself, we had a talk from Planet Laser. They spoke to us about what they would like to change and we learned so much around running a business and event organising.”
She continued: “We all really enjoyed working on this project, it was really fun to be able to combine the theory with the practical and to work alongside a real customer on a live event.”
With 20 different students working on the event, they were split into different groups including Media and Marketing, Customer Service and Security and Safety.
John Cross, director at Planet Laser said: “The students ran the event so professionally, from event planning, promotion and execution on the night. Based on this experience, we would be more than happy to work with the college again to perhaps organise something on a more regular basis.”
He continued: “This was great for us as a business as the student age bracket is the one we have least footfall. The perception that laser tag is ‘just for kids’ is a hard one to overcome. It’s a great team building game from age 6 to 60.”
- 1 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 2 Four-bedroom cottage on Dunwich clifftops for sale for £295k
- 3 Suffolk town named one of the best places to go on holiday in the UK
- 4 'It riles me to the core' - Anger as sofas dumped near Suffolk beauty spot
- 5 A14 lane closure in Bury St Edmunds after two-car crash
- 6 Dog walker in his 70s suffers cuts and bruises after attack in west Suffolk
- 7 'The children were buzzing' - Ed Sheeran sends video to Suffolk school
- 8 Thunderstorm warning issued for East of England
- 9 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 10 Suffolk market town will lose its Post Office in June
For more information about the Business and Retail course at West Suffolk College go to https://wsc.ac.uk/find-a-course.