Sudbury-based MEL Group secures major Royal Navy contract under MoD Maritime Equipment Transformation programme
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk-based engineering solutions provider MEL Group has secured its biggest-ever contract, to supply communications equipment to the Royal Navy.
The Sudbury company, which is more usually associated with the aviation sector, has been awarded the contract by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) as part of the Maritime Equipment Transformation (MET) programme following a competitive tender process.
Although the value of the deal has not been disclosed, it is described by the company as “significant” and its “largest contract yet”.
The contract covers the supply of internal communications equipment, including headsets, handsets, microphones, loudspeakers and associated equipment.
MEL says the deal will secure jobs within the group for seven years, with the contract also covering in-service support both for existing and future Royal Navy vessels, including warships and submarines.
You may also want to watch:
This support includes the manufacture and repair of complete units and the provision of spares, technical assistance and post-design service tasks to allow for technical upgrades and modifications.
MEL Group managing director Gary Harvey said: “We are proud to be chosen for the supply of in-service engineering support for the Royal Navy. Our knowledge, experience and expertise has been built up over the years by working closely with the Armed Forces, including the Royal Navy, Royal Marines and Royal Air Force.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 5 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 6 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 7 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 8 Busy high street taped off by police
- 9 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 10 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
“This has led to the MEL Group being recognised by the MoD, NATO and other operations as a modern and integrated total engineering solution provider,” added Mr Harvey.
MEL Group includes a number of communications and electronics companies, allowing most of the work to be completed in-house rather than having to be outsourced and so reducing risk for the MoD.