Suffolk coast potato farmers support £10k Poppy Appeal
- Credit: Archant
A fresh produce supplier has teamed up with one of its British growers to raise more than £10,000 for the annual Poppy Appeal, which starts this month.
Nationwide Produce plc and Rendlesham-based potato growers Three Musketeers Ltd will together donate 50p to The Royal British Legion from every box of Mint salad potatoes they sell throughout the three-week appeal.
“Edward Blanchard from Three Musketeers Ltd visited Ypres last year and I have also toured the battlefields and cemeteries of the Great War,” explained Tim O’Malley, group managing director at Nationwide Produce.
“We were both moved by these experiences and wanted to do something to help raise funds for The Royal British Legion.
The charity relies on public generosity so it can continue to provide lifelong support for the armed forces community – serving men, women, veterans and their families.
You may also want to watch:
“We hit on the idea of replacing the iconic mint leaf on our popular mint salad potatoes packaging with a poppy, and donating money from every ‘Poppy Box’ sale to the appeal.
“This is a unique opportunity for buyers to support the Poppy Appeal while also backing British farming.”
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 3 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 9 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 10 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
The ‘Poppy Boxes’ went on sale on Wednesday until November 11, and can be purchased from wholesale and food-service companies throughout the country.
Edward said his firm was “proud” to work with Nationwide on the project.
“Chefs and buyers throughout the country, you can help us to raise some much-needed funds.
“Simply buy a product you already enjoy or swap from your usual supply and order a ‘Poppy Box’ of our Mint salad potatoes for the first time.”
Three Musketeers Ltd is a marketing company owned by six shareholding farms in the east of Suffolk, covering a total of 30,000 acres.
Mark Poynton, chef and owner of the Michelin-starred Alimentum restaurant in Cambridge, is championing the ‘Poppy Box’ project on behalf of the restaurateur community and looking forward to creating new dishes. “I’m delighted to lend my support,” he said.