Suffolk: Hawkins Bazaar company Tobar to file for administration
THE Suffolk-based company behind national toy shop chain Hawkins Bazaar is on the brink of going into administration.
Tobar, which has its headquarters on the Old Aerodrome at Worlingham, near Beccles, today filed a notice of intent to appoint administrators.
The company, which employs 380 people and has 65 permanent shops nationally including one in the Buttermarket Shopping Centre in Ipswich, is expected to go into administration in the coming days.
Robin Knight, a partner of the London-based proposed administrators Zolfo Cooper, said: “When it goes into administration we will have to look at various options. The preferred option is for us to sell part or all of the business.”
He added: “In common with a significant number of other retailers it (Tobar) has experienced exceptionally difficult trading conditions over the past few months.
You may also want to watch:
“The directors have taken a number of steps to turn the business around but they have concluded that in its current guise they have no alternative but to seek administration.”
Tobar was founded in 1973, as a supplier and development centre for toys, gifts and gadgets. The company develops products, sources toys and gadgets, and carries out packaging, storage and logistics. The company has a 20sqft factory in Worlingham,
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 3 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 6 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 9 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham
- 10 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
Hawkins Bazaar started as a local toy shop at the Hawk Inn (hence the name Hawkin) and became a niche mail order company in 1973.