Suffolk: Lager brewer Calvors wins listing with Waitrose
SUFFOLK lager brewer Calvors has secured a deal to supply six Waitrose stores around East Anglia.
Calvors Premium English Lager is now available at the Waitrose branches in Bury St Edmunds, Sudbury, Colchester, Saxmundham, Norwich and Wymondham – the first time the supermarket chain has sourced English lager from a local producer.
Oliver O’Mara, local and regional sourcing manager at Waitrose, said: “The Premium English Lager is brewed using local malt barley and without any preservatives or pasteurisation, making it an authentic home-brewed product that has a long lasting refreshing taste.
“Being our first locally-sourced English lager we are excited to see how well it will be received by our customers and are confident it will be an instant hit. We look forward to building our relationship with Calvors as they are exactly the type of local supplier we like to work with.”
Calvors is based at Home Farm, Coddenham Green, where it was founded by Alec Williams in 2008. His family have run the farm for 80 years and it was previously known as Calvers Farms, from which he derived the name for the brewing business.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Williamson said: “Calvors prides itself as one of the best Premium English Lagers in the UK and it’s great to know that Waitrose appreciate the authenticity and traditional process the lager undergoes to reach the product that is on the shelves.
“The Premium English lager is light in colour and has a smooth malty taste which is suitable on its own or as drink with most foods including fish and spicy dishes. Working with Waitrose is a fantastic way to build our business and introduce our lager to a wider audience,” added Mr Williams.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Jack Whitehall praises award-winning Suffolk gastropub after visit
- 3 Town face competition from Championship club for Rotherham midfielder Crooks
- 4 A14 and A12 set for major upgrade work
- 5 Former Ipswich Town boss Keane as you've never seen him before
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe car park
- 7 Full list: Everyone in Suffolk in the Queen's Birthday Honours 2021
- 8 Coronavirus 'growth rate' rises further in East Anglia
- 9 Glass found in popular paddling pool forcing it to close
- 10 Two men arrested after police uncover cannabis farm
The Calvors range also includes a lighter lager, Calvors 3 Point 8, and Calvors Dark and Calvors Amber, which are of the dark lager type rarely produced in the UK.