Suffolk: Lager brewer Calvors wins listing with Waitrose
SUFFOLK lager brewer Calvors has secured a deal to supply six Waitrose stores around East Anglia.
Calvors Premium English Lager is now available at the Waitrose branches in Bury St Edmunds, Sudbury, Colchester, Saxmundham, Norwich and Wymondham – the first time the supermarket chain has sourced English lager from a local producer.
Oliver O’Mara, local and regional sourcing manager at Waitrose, said: “The Premium English Lager is brewed using local malt barley and without any preservatives or pasteurisation, making it an authentic home-brewed product that has a long lasting refreshing taste.
“Being our first locally-sourced English lager we are excited to see how well it will be received by our customers and are confident it will be an instant hit. We look forward to building our relationship with Calvors as they are exactly the type of local supplier we like to work with.”
Calvors is based at Home Farm, Coddenham Green, where it was founded by Alec Williams in 2008. His family have run the farm for 80 years and it was previously known as Calvers Farms, from which he derived the name for the brewing business.
Mr Williamson said: “Calvors prides itself as one of the best Premium English Lagers in the UK and it’s great to know that Waitrose appreciate the authenticity and traditional process the lager undergoes to reach the product that is on the shelves.
“The Premium English lager is light in colour and has a smooth malty taste which is suitable on its own or as drink with most foods including fish and spicy dishes. Working with Waitrose is a fantastic way to build our business and introduce our lager to a wider audience,” added Mr Williams.
- 1 West Suffolk pig farmer reluctantly decides to sell herd after torrid year
- 2 Historic Suffolk hotel and restaurant set for closure
- 3 Red Arrows set to soar over Suffolk this weekend
- 4 Landlord fined £23k over 'dangerous' electrics and broken toilets at homes
- 5 Victorian water tower set to become restaurant
- 6 Ex-Town defender wants to win League One title with Owls
- 7 Lorry carrying mobile home stopped on A14 in Suffolk for being too wide
- 8 Suffolk cinemas at risk as Cineworld 'set to file for bankruptcy'
- 9 Van driver punches man in the head in A12 road rage incident
- 10 'Premier League club, that’s what they are'... Shrews boss on Town
The Calvors range also includes a lighter lager, Calvors 3 Point 8, and Calvors Dark and Calvors Amber, which are of the dark lager type rarely produced in the UK.